Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Entries from May 1, 2010 - June 1, 2010

Entries from May 1, 2010 - June 1, 2010

Monday
May312010

Beating The Summer Doldrums: Free Project Clinics for Kids

Some Lowes and Home Depots offer free Saturday project clinics for parents when accompanied by their child.

For more details check out Build and Grow at Lowes and Kid’s Work Shops at Home Depot.

They are making a mini soccer game at Home Depot June 5th, and a picture frame at Lowes June 12th.

Preregistration is required.



Saturday
May292010

The Grandkids Are Coming: A Second Cup Retrospective

Thursday
May272010

Parenting Teens: Genetic Tic: A Second Cup Retrospective

Another retrospective. Life is too busy. I am trying to catch up from taking my daughter to the mountains to get her stuff on one day, and my mother-in-law to the doctor the next. The mountains are 3 hours away and the doctor is 45 minutes from my house, so why did each of these tasks take all day?

First posted September 25, 2008

It is true that only women can give birth. I am female, of age and married, so in my immediate family I am the only one who can give birth. There are a few other things I have come to realize only I can do.

Only I can:

Toss out empty shampoo bottles left in the shower;

Unload and load a dishwasher without being told to;

Both notice and wash a smelly dog;

Carry a new roll of paper towels all the way up from the basement;

Do a full load of wash each time the machine is run;

Find other household members misplaced Bibles (whether misplaced at home, in church or in the car. My internal Bible finding GPS gets a lot of use).

My husband works very hard to support us and I am the at home spouse, so I don’t expect him to do the above actions any more than I expect he would have given birth to any of our children. If I was working outside the home, things most likely would be different, but I’m not. The children are another matter.

At one point in time (between the ages of 4-12), they could perform any of the above actions even if they couldn’t give birth. Some weird genetic convolution must take place after age 13 and they lose the ability to do the above, or even to notice that something needs to be done (hence our 2 smelly dogs).

This has to be a strange genetic tic, what else could it be? (Note the irony of the Getting From Here to There posts)

If your kids aren’t teens, you may not think there is a strange genetic tic that occurs after 13. (After all what else could be causing this?) That’s okay, maybe your kids won’t tic.

But if you have teens: how does this strange genetic tic, manifest itself in your home?

Counter fairies…..how could I forget that they believe in counter fairies!

Monday
May242010

Who Knew?

According to my Facebook profile, I have 224 friends. I didn't even know I knew that many people. I looked over my friend list and to my surprise, I could put a face to most of the names on my list. I am a FB wallflower in comparison to my kids. Skyler has 363, Princess has over 500 and Ichabod has over 700 (who can keep up with that many people?). Haggai has about 270, but he lives in the desert so he is practically a hermit. Even my dad is on Facebook.

I admit I check FB a couple times a day.

Do you recognize all the names on your friend list?

Saturday
May222010

Watermelon Cookies: Fun Summer Recipes

I read Joanne Fluke's latest book, "Apple Turnover Murder", last week. Her Hannah Swensen mystery series is a double pleasure, a good story and great cookie recipes. The latest book has a recipe for vanilla crack (which is aptly named, it is highly addictive) and watermelon cookies. The cookies seemed the perfect dessert to bring to our Sunday School picnic.

Sarah from Kitchen to Kitchen posted the recipe on her blog. My kids loved this cookie.

1 pkg kool-aid (with no sugar) - Great with lemonade and watermelon flavors
1 2/3 Cups sugar
1 1/4 Cups butter
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
3 Cups flour
1/2 Cups sugar for dipping

Mix kool-aid with the sugar. Add softened butter and mix until fluffy. Add eggs and mix well. Stir in salt and baking soda. Add flour in 1/2 cup increments and mix well after each addition.
Roll dough into 1 inch balls and roll in the sugar. Place them on greased cookie sheet and into 325 degree oven for 10-12 minutes. Don't overbake! Remove cookies from sheet after 1 minute and let cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment