Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Entries from February 1, 2010 - March 1, 2010

Entries from February 1, 2010 - March 1, 2010

Sunday
Feb282010

I Couldn't Write It Any Better. A Sunday Thought

I read the following post over at The Simple Dollar. I though about writing a post on the same subject but I couldn't say it any better than Trent has. Trent usually writes about life and finances. Please visit his blog, The Simple Dollar.

Today is the day to tell your wife that you love her.
Today is the day to call your mother and chat with her for an hour.
Today is the day to send your dad a note.
Today is the day to get in touch with that friend you haven’t talked to in a while.
Today is the day to call up a special person and set up a date.
Today is the day to stop by your grandmother’s house with a sack full of groceries and make dinner for her.
Today is the day to visit that old family friend who helped you so much when you were younger.

Not Valentine’s Day. Not Mother’s Day. Not Father’s Day. Not someone’s birthday. Not Christmas.

The value a person has in your life is never really shown on a “special” day marked on a calendar and observed with a greeting card and a slickly-wrapped present. It’s shown with a few minutes (or an hour or two) of your time on a day when they don’t expect it. On a day when they’re merely in your thoughts.

Build those relationships now before the chance is gone.
Build those relationships now and they’ll pay dividends for the rest of your life.
Build those relationships now so that you can have someone to always share every exciting moment and success in your life with.
Build those relationships now when times are good so they’ll still be there when the times are bad.

I’m stopping right now so you can take the few moments you might have spent reading a longer post to instead do something to build a valuable relationship in your life, because it will often be those very relationships that are there for you when the chips are down.

Friday
Feb262010

Aging with Adventure: Twofer Foods

Thinking about poached chicken (my new absolutely favorite way to prepare chicken because you can start with frozen chicken pieces...no thawing ahead needed!) and free chicken broth (I cook the poaching water down and save it for broth), started me thinking about other twofer foods.

Homemade bread can be made into bread crumbs (this is a theoretical twofer in our home because we don’t ever have leftover home baked bread).

Beef bones become free dog treats, as do most empty peanut butter jars. I freeze the bones and dole them out over time. I take the labels off the peanut butter jars and Cinders gets to lick the remaining peanut butter out before I toss the jar in recycling. There is not much peanut butter in our well scrapped jars, but it makes her happy.

Pasta sauce dredges becomes pizza sauce.

Leftover coffee becomes coffee ice cubes.

There have to be tons more twofer foods out there.... have a suggestion?

Wednesday
Feb242010

Aging With Adventure: Understanding the Economy

"Fear the Boom and Bust" a Hayek vs. Keynes Rap Anthem"

If you are a little confused about how the economy works this video may help. I now understand all.

I came accross this YouTube video on Causal Kitchen via Cafe Hayek.

Any questions?

Monday
Feb222010

The Plot: House Color Debate

I am beginning to suspect the idea of putting the house on the market is a plot by my husband to have me declutter the house. I suspect this because there is now a notable lack of enthusiasm on his part to get the house prepped for sale.

We are going to have the exterior of the house painted. The debate on the exterior is between the romantic who loves the green color, and the pragmatist who is reasonably sure that even though the 3 of us (this includes our friend the painter, who is a professional and an excellent painter) all love the current green color, it will not appeal to potential buyers. This suspicion was confirmed by our friend the real estate agent who came to visit at the pragmatist’s request.

All we really need to do is make friends with a plumber and an electrician, and getting the house ready for sale would be so much easier.

Anyone else have a post(s) about a house they are getting ready for sale, sold or bought? Feel free to add a link below.

If you want to live on central NC and buy the house right away, we will have it painted any color you want!

Don’t worry about the plumber and electrician, we don’t really need them for friends.

Saturday
Feb202010

Walking the Dog: Mind Games

I hurt my foot April of last year. It took me several months to accept the fact that my leg was getting worse. At one point I thought I would need a cane to walk. Several visits to the chiropractor later I am doing better. After the holidays my husband’s work schedule has increased so he can no longer walk the dog regularly. While my leg is better, my girth has increased, so it is out the door once more with the dog for me.

Whether we actually make it out the door depends on how I think about the experience. If I think about it as exercise for me, we are not likely to get any. If I think about it as important to my dog, we are likely to go walking for quite a while.

Weird

Then and Now.

The Napoleon Complex

No comments:

Post a Comment