Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Entries from November 1, 2008 - December 1, 2008

Entries from November 1, 2008 - December 1, 2008

Friday
Nov072008

Blogs Worth A Click: Speaking Hope Addition

There are writers who can speak hope into hopeless situations. My friend Gail has a blog titled Life After Death.

She has had an emotionally crushing 6 months. She has lost her grandbabies and her husband this summer. About 10 days ago her step son unexpectedly passed away in his sleep. Most people would be curled into a emotional fetal position by now.

Not Gail. She started a blog and writes words of hope. I wish she had written a book, I could suggest curling up with it. We can't yet curl up with our computers yet so bring a box of tissues.

There are writers who can pull back the curtain from despair and revel Hope and Hope does not disappoint.

Life After Death

If you would like to mention a blog or a book that speaks words of hope to hurting people, please feel free to leave a comment.

Wednesday
Nov052008

Parenting Teens: Mom Choke Me

Admittedly a weird request. There are times I want to throttle the child but I have never been asked to do so before. This request was connected to practicing the self-defense portion of her belt testing.

She ran back into the class building yesterday and ran out again with broken boards. The boards were a little over an inch thick. “How did you break them?” I inquired.

“With my elbow, a side kick and a front kick” she replies as if breaking things with your feet were a common occurrence in most people’s lives.

Later I was asked to sit on her and pretend I was going to punch her in the face. Not a comfortable position for a mom to be in. Even less comfortable was being flipped by someone I outweigh by a good 50 (60) pounds.

Tae Kwon Do has taught her focus, power, strength and grace. Her teacher is about 4 foot something, a third-degree black belt and a Christ follower. My daughter has role modeled before her that a woman can be strong, graceful and smart and can use her strengths to God’s glory and for others good.

In addition, she can literally flip off her mom without getting in trouble.

Has your child made any weird requests?

Tuesday
Nov042008

Thank you to the Top 10 E-Card Droppers for October.

Rambling Stuff

Marriage and Beyond

The Junk Draw

Authority Directory

Kid Tech Guru

Computer Aid

The Ad Master

My Gypsy Goods

Living Frugally

Beethoven Midi

Thank you all. Dropping cards takes time. Thanks for dropping on me.

and The Matthias Chronicles, from whose blog I recieved the most ecard visitors. And The Daily Dish, the other top visitor blog for e-card advertizing for me in October. Thank you both.

Monday
Nov032008

No Tanks Will Roll Today

We keep hearing how bitterly divided our country is. Pundits punt the idea, talking heads ramble on. Writers spew out the word as if the words themselves are fact. Definitely, we disagree and we can be sometimes very extremely nastily, disagreeable in how we do so.

Nevertheless, we are not divided.

Please let me share what I think divided is:

When someone beats you up for voting… that is divided

When tanks roll and men arm themselves because your guy didn’t win or to ensure your guy does… that is divided

When your next door neighbor doesn’t invite you to his Christmas party because of the sign in your yard during October and November that is you neighbor being a bore. When he turns you into the secret police because of the political/religious opinion you whisper in secret… that is divided.

We Americans are fortunate to be able to use language loosely. We are spoiled in our freedom and that is a blessing given to us for a specific time and for unique purpose. We have fought side by side and against each other in this great experiment of democracy that is the United States.

We get some things wrong; we get a lot of thing right.

Today, not matter who wins the election no tanks will roll, no armed men will surround Washington, no one will go to jail for making a political joke….

In the history of the world ….we are unique ….

My pray (voting is but for a second, pray changes eternity) for the next four years no matter who wins is to the One who holds our leader’s heart in His hand. This pray echoes the words of one who also shared a dream of a unique country, in a unique time in world history…

I now make it my earnest prayer that God would have you, and the State over which you preside, in his holy protection; that he would incline the hearts of the citizens to cultivate a spirit of subordination and obedience to government, to entertain a brotherly affection and love for one another, for their fellow-citizens of the United States at large, and particularly for brethren who have served in the field; and finally that he would most graciously be pleased to dispose us all to do justice, to love mercy, and to demean ourselves with that charity, humility, and pacific temper of mind, which were the characteristics of the Divine Author of our blessed religion, and without an humble imitation of whose example in these things, we can never hope to be a happy nation.

George Washington June 14, 1783

Lord Jesus, thank You and in Your name….amen.

Monday
Nov032008

The One Hundred Push Up Challenge Week 3: Mea Culpa

Confession time: I did not do three secessions last week. I have no excuse. I wasn’t diligent to do what I committed to do. I will do better this week.

(Please note if you are a teen, copy and save the above mea culpa. It will get you out of a lot of trouble. It will be better of you mean it. If you use the term, “mea culpa” you might so distract your parents with your brilliance they may forget what you are mea culpaing about to begin with.)

I did do 60 push up in one secession this past week! If you suggested I would be able to do 60 (weenie) pushups three weeks ago, I would have begged to differ. Around push up number 50, I had an amazing experience. My stomach muscles chime in to complain with my shoulder muscles that I was abusing them. Ah, lazy stomach muscles need all the challenge they can get! My elbow was clicking away. This challenge is becoming a total body experience.

I expect to hear from my toes some time this week.

This challenge is far more doable than I expected. If you are intrigued check out The Hundred Push Up Challenge web site. This would be a nice Christmas/New Years present to give yourself. To be able to truthfully say, “I did it!” (That was worth a split infinitive)

Think about it!

Page 1 ... 1 2 3 4

No comments:

Post a Comment