Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Entries from January 1, 2009 - February 1, 2009

Entries from January 1, 2009 - February 1, 2009

Saturday
Jan312009

Top E-Card Droppers For January

Friday
Jan302009

Marriage in The Real World: Strange Males In The House

We ordered a new stove. The installers would be coming during the day while my husband was at work. I mentioned this event to acquaintance and she commented that her husband would never let her be home along in their house with unknown males. I’m not sure is this is sweetly protective or a tad hyper protective.

What do you think?

Thursday
Jan292009

Parenting Teens: Where There Is Smoke, There Is Stupidity

My good friend Stacey at All Stace, All The Time, has another not to be missed post about the drama of raising teens.

Yesterday Nick had a friend come over to hang out. I like this kid, he's nice enough and though a little scatter-brained, he's relatively harmless. It's nice that I'm liking my son's friends again. The dark days of 'the circle' are gone and some really nice people are being introduced into our lives.

So they're here not doing much of anything when Nick says that they're going to go out for a walk. Okay, not a big deal. I'm sitting on the couch vegging (and FYI, LOVED it!) when I start hearing firecrackers. Not once. Not twice. We're talking a lot in a ten minute time span. I walk to the back door and look outside and can see the boys in the field. I call out to Nick and ask if they are the ones with the firecrackers and he says "yes" - apparently Ben brought them over. I ask him to knock it off but he can't hear me over the sound of yet another firecracker being thrown. I repeat myself and then he says "okay". Fine. We're done.

Ten minutes later the back door opens and I hear the sound of BOTH of my son's voices plus the friend. Then I hear water running and the voices lower. My curiosity finally piqued and I asked them what was going on. It turns out that not only did they have firecrackers, they had smoke bombs too!! Oy! When I told them to knock it off, apparently Ben (the friend) put a smoke bomb in his pocket - feeling secure because they had all been duds. Well, guess what? The one in his pants wasn't!! As I approached the boy the first thing I notice is the smell of smoke. The next is the big black mark on his pants. And you know what? It actually did look a little like a Wyle E. Coyote Acme bomb mark! Who knew?

Luckily the boy was fine. He wasn't hurt in any way, shape or form. His pants on the other hand are probably done for. It was kind of funny. An hour and a half later I could STILL smell the smoke on him. It's things like this that tell you WHY you need to read the warning labels on everything!!!

Stupid, stupid, stupid...

Wednesday
Jan282009

Hee..Hee..Hee...

What do you call an stay at home mom who earns some extra income blogging?

A mousewife.....

Tuesday
Jan272009

Aging With Grace: Psalm 73 Hits Home

I have found myself getting angrier and angrier over the economic melt down. It has melted down our economic future and is a threat to my husband’s livelihood. The housing disaster is the result of greed. Pure and simple…greed. We have been responsible and faithful with our money and our financial decisions.

What fueled my anger was that those who are responsible will pay no penalty. Their future is not hurt by their greed. There is no justice.

The psalmist observed similar injustice with a similar emotional reaction:

2 But as for me, my feet had almost stumbled;
My steps had nearly slipped.
3 For I was envious of the boastful,
When I saw the prosperity of the wicked.

4 For there are no pangs in their death,
But their strength is firm.
5 They are not in trouble as other men,
Nor are they plagued like other men.
6 Therefore pride serves as their necklace;

Anger is a useful observant servant and a poor master. My anger exposed a heart focused on my circumstances and not on the One who controls those circumstances.

21 Thus my heart was grieved,
And I was vexed in my mind.
22 I was so foolish and ignorant;
I was like a beast before You.
23 Nevertheless I am continually with You;
You hold me by my right hand.
24 You will guide me with Your counsel,
And afterward receive me to glory.

Giving up my animal like response to my circumstance, I am again growing in trust in the One whose love will out last this period in history.

Like the psalmist, I am learning to live the truth:

25 Whom have I in heaven but You?
And there is none upon earth that I desire besides You.
26 My flesh and my heart fail;
But God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.

It is time to grow: 18 But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord. 2 Cor 3

No comments:

Post a Comment