Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Entries from May 1, 2008 - June 1, 2008

Entries from May 1, 2008 - June 1, 2008

Tuesday
May132008

When Life Hands You Lemons

whine…Lets see. The car needs $4,000 worth of repairs. My husband wants me to take it to another mechanic for a second opinion. Only his friend, who is out of town, knows the other mechanic’s name and address.

My husband’s mom is not doing so well. If anything happens, I don’t have a car.

The thirteen year old, after writing the beautiful mother’s day poem in PMSing. She isn't on her period, just the mood swings. Maybe it is not PMS, maybe she is just being 13.

The 18 year old, can’t grasp the concept of why she has to share “her car” with her mother. She is feeling rather put upon.

My 16 year old son has no issues, yet. The night is still young.

Finally, my husband just called to announce he is leaving town immediately on a business trip. He doesn’t know when he will be back. I don’t know who the mystery mechanics is, so how do I get a second opinion on the car?

I am faced with a choice.

I can whine. I like this choice.

On the other hand, I can:

15 Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise—the fruit of lips that confess his name. Heb 13

because I do have this assurance:

28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who]have been called according to his purpose. Rom 8

Honestly sometimes, my heart is no more mature than the 13 year olds…sigh

Monday
May122008

Mother's Day 2008

When God set the world in place

When He hung the stars up in space

When He made the land and sea

Then He made you and me

He sat back and saw that all was good

He saw things to be, as they should

Just one more blessing He had in store:

He created a mother but what for?

He knew a mother would be a special place

To shine His reflection on her child’s face

A mother will walk the extra mile

Just to see her child smile

She’ll work her finger to the bone

To make a house into a home

A mother is there to teach and guide

A mother will stay right by your side

A mother will lend a helping hand

Until you have the strength to stand

You are more than a mother to me,

A reflection of God is what I see

A love that knows no boundaries

I’m glad you have chosen to be

All of this and more to me.

by Stephanie Taber, age 13. A child with wisdom that belies her years.

Friday
May092008

The Armchair Traveler: London

I’ve visited London twice, in 1977 and 1989. It is an ideal place for a timid traveler to go. London is different enough so you feel you are in a foreign country but the food is recognizable as food to an American and the nationals speak something resembling English. With a good map you can navigate the city on your own, just remember to look to your right instead of your left before trying to cross a street. The beer is served at room temperature, the cider can get you drunk and a plowman’s lunch at a pub is some of the best food you will ever eat. The live theaters are small and they are not air-conditioned. The city is crowded, there is history everywhere and the yarn shops are fabulous.

From time to time, I’ve wondered what it would be like to live there.

Rebecca in her blog, Somewhere Over The Pond, describes being an expatriate living in London in vivid, practical detail. If you were contemplating a move to England there are some things you would naturally think about: what will you eat if you lived in London or will your kids fit in with their British peers? What is the school system like? How easy is to make friends? Rebecca's blog will give you an ideal of what awaits you.

After reading several expat blogs, I’ve notice the challenge of doing laundry or renting an apartment are recurring themes. I want to go hug both my dryer and my mortgage holder.

Grab a room temperature coke or a pint of the best and join Rebecca, Somewhere Over The Pond.

Thursday
May082008

Parenting Teenagers: The Visit

Someday, I will visit my adult children in their own homes. I intend to walk in, toss both my pocketbook and coat on the floor and promptly misplace my car keys. I will walk into the kitchen; look in their fridge and no matter how much or how little is in there, I plan to complain, “There is never anything to eat in this house”. Then I will sit on their couch with my shoes on and my legs tucked under me, grab the TV remote and turn the TV. I will be doing all this while they are still trying to greet me after picking up my coat and pointing out all the nice fruit and cheese in the fridge waiting to be consumed. I will most definitely use up all the toilet paper and not replace the roll

I will gripe about what’s for dinner, ignore the napkin provided for my use, not offer to help clean up after, regrab the remote and grunt in response to any questions directed my way that might revel anything about my personal life.

I will wonder aloud, why they seem irate and demand to know why they are always annoyed with me and what their problem is.

Or, maybe I will do none of those things. Someday I will visit my adult children and their teenagers in their own homes. I will walk in and hang up my coat and pocketbook, after stowing my keys in the pocketbook. I will not raid their fridge. I may uses the toilet depending, but will replace the role if I use it up. Then I will sit on the couch; listen to my children talk about their teenage children. I intend to nod with sympathy, duck my head and ….smile.

Someday.

Tuesday
May062008

Of Motherhood and Technology

My 13 year old asked me to tape her Tae Kwon Do performance at Meet in the Street this past Saturday. Foolish child, as if I could work the point and aim recorder she thrust into my hands. I dutifully pushed a button, held the camera up, pointed at her for half an hour and recorded, nothing!

Fortunately for me, other parents there did not seem the have the tech struggles I do. You can watch their success here: http://asecondcup.squarespace.com/meet-in-the-street/

There is technology I have readily and quickly learned to use: the remote car door opener that beeps so I can now actually find my car in the Wal Mart parking lot and hiney heaters (car seat warmers to the less crude) are two examples. TiVo, love TiVo. It is the unrecognized saver of many a marriage. Everything else the internet, MP3 players, text messaging, gas stoves, I am a slow adapter.

Sometimes technology changes as I am getting ready to try it. Just as I am thinking of learning how to IM, the world has moved on to communicating by Facebook, blogs and cell phones. Even though the girls have shown me several times, I still can’t get a picture on this blog without their help.

Happily for me, to my thirteen year old, my tech inabilities are highly amusing. Hence, I am grateful. How many moms get to be a source of delight to their budding teenager.

No comments:

Post a Comment