Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Entries from May 1, 2009 - June 1, 2009

Entries from May 1, 2009 - June 1, 2009

Tuesday
May052009

Aging With Adventure: The Battle For My Porch

Each spring the same battle rages. I am physically taller then my nemesis, stronger and heavier. My adversary is faster and has 3 strategic advantages: 1) my aversion to chemical warfare, 2) her stinger and 3) my thick curly hair.

I ,along with the bank, own my back porch. It is mine by right of ownership. My opponent acknowledges no such claim. My lawyer advises me that no court can enforce my right to sit on my back porch in the afternoon with my coffee and some reading material without attack. Because attack my nemesis does.

She buzzes my head and hovers by my coffee cup. She resents me claiming even the small space I occupy on to her what is the vastness of the porch. I could endure the dive buzzing if I didn’t fear her becoming entangled in my hair. (Its happened before). What sends scurrying indoors, defeated yet again, is the threatened stinger. She hovers before me and lets that dreaded armament down and I am so out of there.

I could in theory squash my opponent like a bug, for that is what she is, a big, fat, yellow and black not too intelligent borer bee. I have mastered the downward stun and squash attack on wasps using only a rolled magazine in my defense of the porch. Citronella candles allow me to sit outside bug free in the evenings. She seems too swift and too thick of body to be easy stunned. Citronella is ineffective against this bee. Chemical warfare doesn’t appeal.

For now I have ceded to her the porch in the afternoons.

Someday, I hope soon, this not to bright but very determined adversary will realize the "wood" used to build the porch is fake.

Sunday
May032009

Aging With Adventure: So How Is Your New Year’s Resolution Going?

Now that we are well into the year and the common New Year’s resolution of either spending more time in the Word or reading through the whole Bible this year has not been met by some of those making the resolution, now is the time for encouragement.

On reading the whole Bible in a year, we worship a God not bound by time so while you have missed your schedule you have not missed His. Start where you left off (skip Leviticus if need be), read two to three chapters a day and give yourself Sunday off. You might not finish by December 31, 2009 but we serve a God for whom a day is like a thousand years and a thousand years is like a day so you are still head of schedule. Just don't stop.

For those who resoluted to spend more time in the Word, two words of encouragement for you: The Message. Best devotional reading I have ever come across. I know there are some theological quibbles or quakes depending on your theological foundation. I am not recommending The Message as a study Bible. Jesus rose from the dead! The Message captures the wonder and excitement of that reality that fueled the New Testament writers’ souls decades afterwards and centuries later fuels our souls.

How are your New Year’s resolutions going?

Friday
May012009

Read Any Good Books Lately?

Summer is coming and I could use some suggestions. I like mystery, Sci-Fi, kids books,bios,novels,light reading (think Twilight),growing as a Christ follower. If I would he horrified to find my 14 year old reading it, I most likely won’t read it myself.

Any ideas?

Page 1 ... 1 2 3 4

No comments:

Post a Comment