Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Entries from January 1, 2009 - February 1, 2009


Entries from January 1, 2009 - February 1, 2009

Thursday
Jan082009

CSA Adventure 2009

If you are interested in joining a CSA now is the time to sign up. You can see my evaluation of our CSA experience here: All Good Things Must End.

What is a CSA? See Our Summer Experiment The CSA at Wild Onion Farms, is enrolling new participants. Last year we received a box of produce each week for about 17 weeks. This year Elizabeth is organizing things a little different. Instead of a box of produce each week we are free to pick out what we want from Elizabeth’s stall, the amount will be deducted from the prepaid share amount. There advantage to prepaying is we will receive a 10% bonus so $350 prepaid becomes $385 for the summer. All CSAs operate differently so check the rules before committing to one. Local Harvest is a good jumping off place for finding a CSA.

I know what most of our share money will be going to: Corn, lots of corn.

Anyone else what to share their CSA experiences?

Tuesday
Jan062009

Took The Kids To See Twilight Last Weekend

I took my 17 old and my 13 year old. No one was bored, there was no reason for me to blush while watching Twilight with my son. There was no foul language I noticed and everyone remained clothed. Unusual so I have heard for a movie aimed at teens. (I don't see many teen movies.) ( In the interest of full disclosure I did see High School Musical 3). Stephanie Meyer's gave vampire lore an interesting twist with the "vegetarian " vampire concept.

Movie, popcorn , soda and Crunch a Bunch with my kids, not cheap

A movie we could enjoy all enjoy.....very rare, it was a nice night out.

I do not get the Edward crazy though....

Monday
Jan052009

An Ode To My In-Laws

I have a ton of siblings
Those who have married have married well

My in-laws do not mind the bi-yearly invasion of their homes
The noise, the kids, the lack of hot water, they endure without a groan
Tis true the constant sisterly chatter can drive the men from the room,
Off they go together to do what brothers by law and mutual affection do.

I have one lone sister-in-law, of whom I don’t enough see
What I do see in her I greatly admire, my brother chose well,
or perhaps (she is a woman with a mind of her own) she chose he.

This band of in-laws is not without faults and they all have their moments
But they are kind and generous and their marriage bonds have stood the test of time.
I don’t usually think of them as in-laws, they are all a part of what makes us we,
By blood and choice, we are a family.

Friday
Jan022009

Jimmy V and New Years Thoughts

Jim Valvano gave a speech at the 1993 Espy awards. He coached the coach the victorious N.C. State men's basketball team in 1983. His speech is about 10 minutes long and well worth the time to listen. Jimmy V died of cancer less than 2 months later. This speech is as relevant today as it was almost a decade and a half ago.

Page 1 ... 1 2 3 4

No comments:

Post a Comment