Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Entries from October 1, 2009 - November 1, 2009

Entries from October 1, 2009 - November 1, 2009

Thursday
Oct222009

Movie Review Sites

With the new Twilight movie opening (yay!) parents of younger teens willhave to decide if their child can see the movie or not. The following sites are good for making informed decisions about movies.

Screen It

Plugged In Also has TV, Music and Video Games Reviews

Kids In Mind

World Magazine Good site for thoughtful reviews for parents with older teens

Christianity Today

Tuesday
Oct202009

Parenting Teens: Word Wars

Warning if you find cuss words offensive, so do I. You may not want to read this post. I am discussing what words are cuss words and will be using examples of those words in this post.

Tech princess posted on Facebook that her day sucked.

I have no trouble that I know of with my teens and the major cuss words. They fall under the Scriptural prohibition, “there must be no filthiness and silly talk, or coarse jesting, which are not fitting, but rather giving of thanks” (Eph. 5:4).

It is the minor ones I’ m having problems with. Mostly because the kids do not agree these words are unacceptable to begin with. Words like freaking, pissed off, crap and sucks are used by the kids in our home, not always but from time to time.

I remember the first word battle I lost. The word was dang. My oldest was about 14 and he was using it in his daily conversation. In his mind the word was far enough removed from its parent word of damn not to count under the Ephesians command. I lost this one when a one of our elders at church used it not one, not twice but three times in his sermon. This man loves Jesus well and wisely and both my son and I knew that. The debate over dang ended and my son did go on to use courser language, but that was a different heart issue.

We had company yesterday and one man used the phrase “pissed off” to describe his reaction to a certain situation. My daughter smiled. More ammunition for her in the Word Wars.

I have Napoleon Dynamite for the free use of freaking and crap because and I quote, “Everyone knows Mormons’ don’t swear Mom.”

I have been known to use a curse word once or twice,very very rarely when unduly provoked (by my teens. Before the kids becoming teenagers only my mother could be provoking enough to cause a swear word or two to except my lips...sigh). Nether my husband or I use these words in our daily conversations in either private or public.

I have noticed there is an age gap in our church family. Those in their 20’s and younger are more likely to use these word in conversation although rarely in conversation with those of us who are “older”. It is respectful on their part. Why use language that some people find offensive and you don’t, around those people who would be. Very Romans 14.

These words do not seem to trouble my kid’s conscience. They do mine. I am not free to use them.

Part of the problem is these words are used in front of us when the kids are angry with us. Using them in that context is just disrespectful and not okay.

The other consideration is these words seem to be part of teen and young adult language and are acceptable in common usage among the 20 Somethings who do love the Lord, both wisely and well. My test in these situations is WWJD?

Would Jesus use these words in His daily conversation?

I suspect depending on your age the answer will be different.

How do you handle the Word Wars (to be honest ours are more like skirmishes)with your teens or your parents?

Sunday
Oct182009

Aging with Grace: Life Is What Happens While You Made Other Plans

When I started A Second Cup, I had 4 children living in our home and a healthy husband with a good job. We were talking about him retiring in 5 years and both of us working low stress part time jobs (my plan was to work in a bookstore….how perfect would that have been!)

We now have one child launched, one in college and two living in our home. The economy tanked and with it our 401s, college saving accounts and any hope of retirement any time soon. There are very few jobs available in our area. It is no long easy for someone out of the work force 20+ years raising her family to find even part time employment.

The biggest curveball we face is my husband is no longer healthy. His mind just can‘t concentrate anymore. CAT scans, MRIs and blood test have not revealed the cause of his problem. I have watched a man who for decades work 60 + hours a week in a job that required brain power be reduced to being unable to read a book or an long magazine article without needing to take a break. He is sleeping a lot. Our plan if he lost his job was that I would do more internet content writing since I am the faster researcher/writer and he would edit my articles. He can’t concentrate enough to do the edits anymore. A mind is a terrible thing to waste has new and darker meaning for me.

We are playing doctor roulette and have yet to find the doctor who can give us a diagnosis, let alone a treatment protocol.

Fortunately he is getting short term disability so the kids’ lives have not changed that much. Once the disability ends ……Who knows what will happen?

For us Who has a name. He is Jesus. I don’t know how difficult this road will be. I am reluctantly walking the path right now mourning what life could have been. This I do know…..walking this path faithfully will be a learning experience, with times of stumbling and times of rejoicing. In the end we will know our God better. I have but one overall goal: to hear one day…

'Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master's happiness!' Matt 25:21

I have this goal because ……Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. 2Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Heb 12

Even a race with an unexpected turn….

Friday
Oct162009

Vanilla Pudding From Scratch: A Second Cup Recipe Suggestion

I remember being amazed reading the back of an Argo Corn Starch box that I could make pudding from scratch. Pudding like pancakes had to be made from boxes brought from the store. (In case you are unaware like I was, pancakes can be made from scratch also) (Seriously I am not trying to be ironic here, I didn’t know) Further more I had all the ingredients on hand. 10 minutes of time, easy to do. Thin the pudding out with some milk for a nice topping for pound cake or gingerbread. (Both of which are easy to make from scratch, who knew!)

  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup corn starch
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 2-3/4 cups milk
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla
  1. Combine sugar, corn starch and salt in a pot. Gradually stir in milk until smooth.
  2. Bring to boil over medium heat, stirring constantly, and boil 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in butter or margarine and vanilla.
  3. Pour into serving bowl. Cool, enjoy warm or chill in fridge.

Serves four or one teenage boy after school.

What do you make from scratch that you used to make from a box?

Wednesday
Oct142009

To Quote Jim " I Love When Leather Cries"

You might want to get some tissues......

This is a cool video. Feel free to post it if you want. (Hey free content...one less post to write.)

Hear Jim, you might need more tissues.


No comments:

Post a Comment